Court Battle: Toddler on Life Support Who Choked on Popcorn

July 8, 2016

(ABC News) – The pendant around Patrick Lawson’s neck reads “all things are possible.” That’s the hope that has kept him going since his 2-year-old daughter was placed on life support after choking on a popcorn kernel in May. Doctors at a Virginia hospital say they’re certain Mirranda Grace Lawson won’t recover, and they want to perform a test they believe will confirm she’s brain dead. The hospital and experts say the test is harmless. But Lawson and his wife have refused, saying they worry the test will harm the girl. They believe she’ll open her big blue eyes again one day.