Cleaning Up After My Brother’s Fatal Overdose

November 15, 2019

(New York Times) – The last mark my brother made on the world was a bloodstain on a bathroom floor. He died of a fentanyl overdose, nearly one year ago. He was 35 years old. His body was found in a rented room in the basement of a run-down house in Vancouver, where fatal opioid overdoses are now so prevalent they have reduced the overall life expectancy. I hired a trauma cleaning company to remove the blood. It was expensive. I worked alongside the two cleaners to empty the 40-foot square suite that had been my brother’s home for just three weeks.