Postdoc Opportunity – Horizon-scanning and Foresight Research Associate
August 29, 2018
The Centre for the Study of Existential Risk (CSER) invites applications for a Postdoctoral Research Associate for its Managing Extreme Technological Risk research programme, continuing the work of the sub-project ‘Horizon-Scanning and Foresight for Extreme Technological Risk’. This is an exciting opportunity to engage in a cutting-edge research programme with strong prospects for future expansion.
The Research Associate will lead at least one horizon-scanning process on extreme risk, building on previous horizon-scanning work at CSER, and lead further development and utilisation of CSER’s web-based register of extreme technological risk. They will investigate the utility of a range of horizon-scanning and foresight techniques and methodologies for early detection of extreme technological risks, and, where appropriate, how these might be matched with risk mitigation options.
Supported by CSER’s research team and senior advisers, the Research Associate will produce independent and collaborative research outputs targeted at academic, government, industry and other audiences.
Applicants must have:
- A PhD in a relevant field or research experience in a relevant area commensurate with the requirements of the role.
- Expertise relevant to the sub-project, including familiarity with horizon-scanning and/or foresight methodologies and techniques.
- Evidence of ability to work in collaborative environments and to engage with diverse communities of experts – including academics across disciplines, industry partners and policy makers.
- Excellent written and oral communication and presentation skills.
- Evidence of a serious interest in the research foci of the Centre.
Fixed-term: Funding for this post is available until 31 August 2020 in the first instance.